Thursday, December 1, 2011

Sad Hypocrisy

I work in a restaurant and I love it. I get to meet new people every day and I get the chance to help them in way or another. I enjoy the interaction with my fellow co-workers as well. I haven't been there long, but I'm already making some friends.
I try very hard to be a good example of a Christian man and to help everyone whenever possible. But my "job" at being an example for Christ became much harder on (Ironically) a Sunday.
A large party of people, all dressed up, talking about church and the sermon, came in and were all seated together, laughing and having a good time. The servers (one male, one female) who waited on them (not me) ihntroduced themselves and immediately began to do their best to serve them and make sure everything was just right.
Now, I know these servers and I know they were doing a great job. So it surprised me when the male server came into the kitchen swearing profusely and then slammed his fist into the wall. He was SO upset that he could barely get the words out.
As he finally got around to explaining his anger it turns out that this party of church-goers was quite possibly the rudest bunch of people he had ever waited on in his 5+ years of serving!
At first I was shocked and then I became very sad.
He then turned to all the other servers in the kitchen and told them that if they are going to be going to church and talking about God, then they need to make sure to not be so F-in rude! Then he stormed back out onto the dining room floor.
Why did this happen? Why are Christians showing such a bad example? Is it because they think that those people who didn't go to church are beneath them? Do they think that they are somewhat better than others because they are Christians?
I am a Christian and I am proud of that fact. I may not be a great example of one, but I try. But to have someone who may or may not be a Christian see this kind of example, is horrible!
Take from this what you will, but for those of you who are not Christians, please know that this terrible example of a group of Christians is not indicative of the entire Christian community.
For those of you who are Christians, well, please remember that even when you are feeling at your worst, you need to make sure that you are still showing a good Christian example...and not an attitude.

3 comments:

  1. What is Christianity about? Why is being a good example so important? What is the purpose of Christianity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christianity is the effort to be as Christ-like as possible. To follow the teachings and commandments of Jesus, the Son of God. It's so interesting that you asked why a good example is so important...I'm actually trying very hard to think of the proper wording for this answer. I can start by saying, why would you NOT want to be a good example? A good example of any style of living helps show others that your way of life is good, productive, and can be accomplished. So a good example of Christianity is to show the world (at least those around you) that it is possible to live as God wants you to. Unfortunately, there are many poor examples of Christians in the world today and they get noticed a lot quicker and easier than good examples do. I even find it ironic that the press will be quick to point out the bad examples and hardly ever show a good example.
    But to be a good example of a Christian means that you are helping others and that if you can get through the daily strife of life because of the way of life that you practice, then they too can do it if they just make the effort to follow Christ's path. It's a hard one, but we're told the end result is going to be out of this world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that makes me sad too. On fb an acquaintance of mine posted something to the effect of "those occupy pigs cost LA x amount of $." This is someone who is the founder of a creation ministry. Kind of feel like that may destroy a platform...

    Why do Christians behave this was? Because we have a misunderstanding about what discipleship to Christ is. We are duplicitous, saying we believe one thing, but belief is not limited to mental ascent to an ideal- it is living it out. Dallas Willard has a great article on discipleship and why we should bother with it: http://www.dwillard.org/articles/artview.asp?artID=71

    ReplyDelete